Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bless her heart

I've started and stopped this blog post about 10 times because I just don't even want it anywhere on here! But...it's part of our story and part of the "adventures of Reagan and Riley" as the title of this blog says, so it needs to be on here. Most of the people that read this blog likely know our news already...but if not we've sort of been thrown for a loop around the Iofredo house with some not so welcome news.
Looking through the posts we've put on here from the beginning I noticed that almost any time I give a lengthy update about R and R, I mention the fact that Riley is such a peanut! She really is and is just about the cutest little peanut you ever will see! We took the girls to their new pediatrician last week (on Daddy's birthday!) and it was sort of business as usual. He talked to us at length and then checked the girls out. He spent an extra long time listening to Riley and even asked us some kind of strange questions (like, "does she sweat when she eats," "does she turn blue", etc...") which completely freaked me out. However, when we said no, he sort of brushed it off and told us the girls looked fabulous and that we're doing a great job and sent us on our way. The next morning at about 7:30a.m. my phone rang and it was him. He apologized for calling so early (ha!...we'd been up for about 4 hours already!) and said he needed to talk. He'd been thinking about our visit since we left and it had him troubled. He felt that some things he saw with Riley had him concerned and while he didn't want to upset us at all he wanted us to go straight down to MUSC Children's Hospital and meet with the pediatric cardiologist there. He'd already set up the appointment. He said he was sure it was no big deal and just wanted us to be safe. I was obviously nervous but I'll be totally honest....I really, truly didn't imagine that they'd find a thing wrong with this kid. Sure...she's so little, but a lot of kids are tiny and she's gained so much weight since she was born, she's meeting all of her milestones and is smiley and laughs non-stop all day long. She's perfect as can be. I'm sure you can see where I'm headed with this...
We spent the day at the hospital doing tests (ultrasound of her heart, ekg) and when all was said and done we met with the pediatric cardiologist. He told us that our little girl's heart is pretty sick. She has a huge hole in her heart and will need open heart surgery to correct it very soon. It was honestly the MOST surreal moment of my life. I won't go into the whole thing, just know that I almost threw up on the table. I remember looking at Matt while the doctor was talking and I knew that the doctor was talking but it was almost like I wasn't in the room. I only saw Matt holding Riley and that's all I could focus on. So I missed the majority of what he had to say (thank God he wrote things down and that Matt listened a little bit better than I did!). I can honestly say I have never been more surprised in my entire life. I seriously thought they'd tell us she just had a rapid heart rate or something! Clearly why I became a teacher and not a doctor, right?!
Riley has something called Complete AVSD (Atrial Ventricular Septal Defect) and it's a pretty severe case. Often it can be fixed through catheterization or sometimes if it's not too bad, doctor's wait to see if the hole closes on it's own. That is not an option for her. The doctor's will be all meeting together this week to go over her case and we'll know the exact date for the surgery likely tomorrow or Tuesday.
To say that we're scared is a huge understatement. We're nervous and anxious and sad and overwhelmed. But we're also so beyond grateful to our new pediatrician who saved our little girl's life. She's seen so many doctors since she was born and NO ONE ever mentioned anything. No one had a feeling that anything was wrong, but Dr. John Quinn...my new hero, did and I will forever be keeping him at the top of my nightly prayer list. We have been amazed...that's not even the right word for it....blown away is more like it....by the amount of support we've received from friends and family already. It is incredible. We told a few people who spread the word and our phones literally haven't stopped ringing and our email inboxes are full of love and prayers and support and we are so thankful. We've been surprised with the little bit of research that we've already started doing, that this is actually more common than you would ever think. Open heart surgery is no joke. Riley is in for a tough ride ahead....but the success rates are outstanding and if all goes well, like we know it will, she can lead a normal, healthy life and as I keep saying...I'm sure she'll be running circles around all of us in no time.
People keep asking us if there's anything they can do to help and there totally is! We believe in the power of prayer and if you can add Riley and her doctors and her family to your prayers lists we'd really appreciate it! We know that God is in control of this situation...not us. We'll do everything in our power to help her but we know that in the end it's Him who will give her back to us without her broken heart!
Someone special to me sent me this prayer yesterday and I've been wearing it out ever since she sent it.

Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you for the gift of little Riley and we ask that you hold her in the palm of your hand and breathe health and life into her heart. Seal the hole, Lord. Fill it with peace and wholeness and such a love for you that she will do great things with the life you have given her. Please comfort her parents, her sister, and her extended family and give them all faith and strength to face the weeks to come as you work to bring Riley back to complete physical wellness, for we know that your desire for her is to be totally healed. Thank you, Lord, for what you are already doing and what you will continue to do for the Iofredos in the future. In Jesus name, we pray. Amen

So...if you're not a big prayer person or just need some extra help with what to say...there it is. It's certainly helping me.

I'm not going to be dwelling on the upcoming surgery on the blog. I am going on...business as usual, just like we're doing around here (which sounds a lot easier than it is proving to be). We have been super busy and I have a million fun pictures and videos to post in the next few days....I'll definitely keep you posted and let you know when the surgery is going to be and I'll let everyone know when she's safe and sound and back in our arms. But, I want this blog to continue to show how amazing these two little angels are and all of the fantastic things that they keep doing every day! (Yesterday we tried pears for the first time...holy cow. Great video coming up soon!)
So, to all of you who follow this or just peek in every once and awhile to see the cute pics of the ladies...thank you for your support and for all of your love. We feel it already and keep it coming!

3 comments:

  1. Iofredos-
    You will all be in my prayers especially Riley. Believe me, I know how scary it can be to have your baby in the hospital. Its not fun, but once you get through this you will look back and be truly amazed at how resilient and strong your sweet Riley is! It sounds like you have the support, strength and faith that you need, but please know that I will be thinking of you guys and sending prayers and huge hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you all and riley have to go through this but you have already been so blessed that your new dr. Found this and you can get your baby girl back to health!! I will be praying very hard for her and for all of you and I just know that she will come out a fighter and be stronger and healthier than you would've ever imagined!! I know that it must be very hard to go through this but it seems like you two are such wonderful and strong parents and have everything it will take to make it through - and little miracle will continuously surprise you all. My prayers are with you and Riley for a great operation and a very speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and especially Riley and her doctors during this difficult time. We will light a candle for her tonight and keep doing so until she is home safe and sound in your arms and smiling and playing with a healthy heart! You know I know how difficult it is to watch your "baby" go through something so difficult. We've been dealing for a few years now with Maddie and her obstacles, but I know I can't fully sympathize since we have not been in a surgical circumstance, especially with something as important and special as her heart! I know it's hard to with twins... The "why her?" question... To go through everything you have been through and now have to deal with this is unimaginable and I can only imagine what you must be going through. I wish I had the right words to say or was close enough to give a hug, an ear or a helping hand. In the meantime, like I said, we will keep you all in our prayers. God Bless Riley always and forever!

    ReplyDelete